How to Overcome Your Disability: Home and Vehicle Modifications
Living with a disability may be tough, and sometimes it appears to be unendurable. However, there are a variety of responses to these problems. Home and vehicle modifications may help you live your life more fully. Here are some ideas of how to make your environment work for you!
Home Modifications for People with Disabilities
There are many home modifications that people with disabilities can benefit from.
There is a range of benefits for those who have some kind of disability or impairment and want to make their house more accessible but don’t know where to start. An expert in this field would provide helpful guidance as they may be able to suggest what types of changes might help the person modify their living space, so it works better for them without doing major renovations which could cost money and cause stress on top of dealing with a new challenge at hand. Some examples include:
- putting down non-slip flooring when moving around outside during inclement weather conditions like rain, snow, ice, etc., installing ramps instead of stairs if walking difficulties present themselves;
- increasing lighting throughout the entire property, especially in rooms where the individual spends lots of time, in case they are experiencing vision problems.
- putting down non-slip flooring when moving around outside during inclement weather conditions like rain, snow, ice, etc.,
- installing ramps instead of stairs if walking difficulties present themselves;
- automatic door openers or home automation features that make it possible to open and close doors from a distance or with the use of an app;
- installing handrails in bathrooms, so someone has a better grip when moving around.
- automated home appliances such as home security systems and home automation feature like lights and locks which can be controlled from within their phone.
- door and hallway widening, which make it possible for wheelchairs to access these rooms;
- putting in-home elevators, so there are more opportunities within the home and fewer restrictions.
Vehicle Modifications for People with Disabilities
The modifications you make to your car are only limited by your creativity, therefore it’s difficult to provide a comprehensive list of vehicle modification alternatives. However, here is some general information on the most common vehicle modifications for disabled drivers:
1) Wheelchair lift
These vehicle modifications are specifically designed for wheelchair or scooting passengers to make it easier for them to enter and exit the vehicle. Wheelchair lifts are mounted onto the floor of the vehicle.
2) Vehicle ramps
Vehicle ramps can be used to help wheelchair users enter and exit the car, as well as allow them access into any other part of the vehicle that is not accessible otherwise.
There are three types of vehicle ramps: vehicle-mounted, vehicle-side, and portable vehicle ramps. Vehicle ramps can be used to help wheelchair users enter and exit the car, as well as gain access into any other part of the vehicle that is not accessible otherwise.
3) Hand control conversion kit
Hand controls reduce or eliminate discomfort for disabled drivers who are unable to operate a vehicle without assistance because of a physical disability.
It allows drivers who have a disability to operate their vehicle without assistance by installing hand controls on their steering wheel or driver’s seat. Hand controls reduce or eliminate discomfort for disabled drivers who are unable to operate a vehicle without assistance because of a physical disability.
4) Vehicle sun visors
Vehicle sun visors provide additional protection from the harmful rays of the sun for individuals who are sensitive to light or have limited vision.
5) Vehicle seat covers
Vehicle seat covers not only provide a more comfortable seating surface during your ride but can reduce the risk of injury if you are involved in an accident. Seat covers help maintain the vehicle’s resale value as well)
If you are living with a disability, it may be time to explore home and vehicle modifications. By making some changes in your environment, you can continue living life just as you always have, without the fear of falling.
And if you need more information on vehicle modifications, you can visit https://www.independenceautomotive.com.au/